Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Look at Natural Science

Yet another late night production! This time the insomnia is not coffee induced, but simply an effort to continue the delay of studying. Since my blog name makes reference to dreaming, I will try to start off with some sort of statement or story of my dreams/daydreaming. Some say that dreams are a recollection of the last thoughts processed before dozing off, or possibly reoccurring thoughts of the day. Yesterday, I dreamt that I went to the hospital to see a friend’s new arrival. When I got there, she held out her palm and in it laid her bundle of joy. As folded back the flaps of a very small, stiff blanket (resembling a dinner napkin), I gasped in horror. It was a piece of soggy toast! My dream ended by her promising that the baby would eventually take form. I woke up wondering, “Kenz, what is wrong with your brain? You have got to get out more if THAT is your last thoughts at night.” Yes I just wasted 5 seconds or more of your life (depending on how fast of a reader you are), but I can only hope that you are about to recover them.

So seriously, on to my thoughts of the day… The Mariana Trench. This trench is located in the Pacific Ocean, near the island of Guam. The deepest point of the trench is known as the Challenger Deep and is almost 7 miles below sea level. To put that in reference terms, imagine shaving Mt. Everest off the surface of the Earth and throwing it into the Mariana Trench, it would disappear and leave its tip more than a mile below the ocean surface. The pressure at the bottom of the trench is approximately 1,000x the atmospheric pressure at sea level. If human were exposed to that much pressure, we would implode in fractions of a second , but yet there are creatures and microorganisms with unique adaptations allowing them to thrive in the extreme cold and pressure.

I was pretty amazed at that and began to speculate the vastness of this Earth. The Earth’s circumference is 131,480,184 feet. I stand at a towering 5’7 (5.58 ft.). Ladies and gents, if you were to line Kensie’s head to toe around the circumference, that would equal 23,562,756.99 Kensies!

All of that to say, I am quite small in this world, but nonetheless, I have the attention of a God that is bigger than this Earth, bigger than this universe, bigger my brain can conceive. A God that cares for me. A God that cares about not only my future, but about the petty things that I stress about.

I am also reminded of the scripture in Romans 8, “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, NOR HEIGHT, NOR DEPTH, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” … Not even those dark places in our lives that seem deeper than the Mariana Trench, the places where we feel hopeless and feel the bleak conditions we are in couldn’t possibly sustain life. We have a God whose love reaches to those depths! The times when we feel like the weight and pressure of the world is on our shoulders. We have a God who is ready to take on our baggage and weights that we try to manage on our own!

Oh how He is more than enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment